Robert Nesta Marley, known as Bob Marley, was born on the 6th of February 1945. He was a Jamaican songwriter and singer and is known for popularizing Reggae Music.
Initially, he sang with the Wailers but later produced and released his solo tracks.
His musical group changed their name many times, but Marley along with other collaborators of his music like Bunny Wailer and Peter Tosh decided to name the group in the year 1963 as – The Wailers.
This band began on a humble note and released multiple top hit songs. Some of these songs are the earliest reggae music to be recorded by Lee Perry (Scratch) of Upsetters. The Wailers first album “The Wailing Wailers” also received worldwide popularity.
With the changes line up and instrumentals during the early 70s and late 60s, Bob was able to record seven albums with his band.
In 1974, the group members went to their separate ways, and Marley began his solo career.
After the disbandment, Marley changed to the band and made himself the songwriter, lead singer, and the rhythm guitarist. He brought in new members such as the Carlton Barret brothers (drummers), Aston Barret was on Bass, Junior Marvin and AI Anderson played the guitar, Tyrone Downie and Earl Mowatt were on the keyboard and Alvin Patterson on the percussion.
With the merger of the new band, The Wailers and Bob Marley, the most popular album; “Exodus” was released in 1977. The album gave him international recognition and propelled young Marley to sell over 75 million records.
For a 56 week stretch, Exodus stayed on the charts. It included four famous songs from Marley such as Waiting In Vain, One Love, Exodus and Jamming. These songs were a good representation of Bob Marley sound. The sound was not only about smooth vocals and reggae beats but also a proponent of Rastafari, legalization of marijuana and pan-Africanism.
- Bob Marley got inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame during 1994.
- In 1999, the Exodus album was dubbed the Album of the Century by the Time Magazine also his song “One Love” was named the Track of the millennium by BBC.
- In 2001, he was awarded The Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
Bob Marley songs incorporated religion and politics, and some of them gave him worldwide popularity as a figure of pop-culture. Unfortunately, Bob had skin cancer that caused his demise on 11th May 1981 at the young age of 36 years.
Although he died young, he still left behind an extensive discography of popular global music, a family of musicians who carry on the reggae culture and a legacy filled with wisdom that is brought to you through the quotes and song lyrics from Marley’s library.
Therefore, to pay respect to the legend, we created forty of our preferred quotes from the reggae king, Bob Marley:
1) “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
2) “Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.”
3) “None but ourselves can free our minds.”
4) “One love, one heart, one destiny.”
5) “The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.”
6) “Love the life you live. live the life you love.”
7) “You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She’s not perfect—you aren’t either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break—her heart. So don’t hurt her, don’t change her, don’t analyze and don’t expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she’s not there.”
8) “If she’s amazing, she won’t be easy. If she’s easy, she won’t be amazing. If she’s worth it, you won’t give up. If you give up, you’re not worthy. … Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” (Guitar Chord Songbook – Bob Marley)
9) “Don’t Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold.”
10) “Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you’ve never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more. You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true, goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life has thrown at you. When something wonderful happens, you can’t wait to tell them about it, knowing they will share in your excitement. They are not embarrassed to cry with you when you are hurting or laugh with you when you make a fool of yourself. Never do they hurt your feelings or make you feel like you are not good enough, but rather they build you up and show you the things about yourself that make you special and even beautiful. There is never any pressure, jealousy or competition but only a quiet calmness when they are around. You can be yourself and not worry about what they will think of you because they love you for who you are. The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever. Memories of your childhood come back and are so clear and vivid it’s like being young again. Colours seem brighter and more brilliant. Laughter seems part of daily life where before it was infrequent or didn’t exist at all. A phone call or two during the day helps to get you through a long day’s work and always brings a smile to your face. In their presence, there’s no need for continuous conversation, but you find you’re quite content in just having them nearby. Things that never interested you before become fascinating because you know they are important to this person who is so special to you. You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon. You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible. You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you. You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly a soul mate who will remain loyal to the end. Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile. Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part of your life.”
11) “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
12) “Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life.”
13) “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!”
14) “Don’t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright”
15) “Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I’m not perfect -and I don’t live to be- but before you start pointing fingers… make sure you hands are clean!”
16) “The good times of today are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.”
17) “I don’t stand for black man’s side, I don’t stand for white man’s side, I stand for God’s side.”
18) “The winds that sometimes take something we love, are the same that bring us something we learn to love. Therefore we should not cry about something that was taken from us, but, yes, love what we have been given. Because what is really ours is never gone forever.”
19) “Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.”
20) “He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.”
21) “When one door is closed, don’t you know that many more are open”
22) “You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it. You say you love sun, but you seek shelter when it is shining. You say you love wind, but when it comes you close your windows. So that’s why I’m scared when you say you love me.”
23) “Wake up and live”
24) “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.”
25) “Judge not unless you judge yourself”
26) “Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?”
27) “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?”
28) “Love would never leave us alone”
29) “You have to be someone.”
30) “Though the road’s been rocky it sure feels good to me.”
31) “The biggest coward of a man is to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her.”
32) “My feet is my only carriage.”
33) “When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.”
34) “Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don’t give up the fight.” (Bob Marley – Legend)
35) “You can fool some people sometimes but you can’t fool all the people all the time”
36) “Overcome the devils with a thing called love.”
37) “My music will go on forever. Maybe it’s a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts. My music will go on forever.”
38) “You can’t find the right roads when the streets are paved.”
39) “The day you stop racing, is the day you win the race.”
40) “Me only have one ambition, y’know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together – black, white, Chinese, everyone – that’s all.”